Thursday, January 11, 2007

Gisbourne

Hello from a baking hot Gisbourne.

Well it's been about a week since I last 'blogged'.. I have been on the move quite a lot.

I got to Auckland and slept for like 2 full days straight. Jet lag it seems hits me pretty hard. After a couple days of recovery I woke up and met my room mates, a couple guys from North Wales and a guy from Bristol. They took me drinking which made me feel lots better :) I wandered aound Auckland a bit. I got my sim card sorted, got a New Zealand bank account, a tax number, all the boring but important things done. Auckland was OK, nothing special, could have easily been Sydney or LA.

I had completely lost track of what the date was or even what day of the week it was but Laurence met me in Auckland a day or so after I woke up from my minin coma (friend from school) as he needed to do a few bits in the city too. We went to a chinese restaurant. My first actual meal after 2 weeks in Hong Kong.. Chinese. Mmmm.

Anyway the next day we packed up and left Auckland and drove to Mount Maunganui which is this totally awesome town on a really long beach. I could see myself spending most of the year there if I found a job. It was so nice and chilled but the weather decided to turn on us so we drove down to Rotorua (Lots of thermal pools, gysers etc) The place stinks of bad eggs due to the sulpher. It was actually awful. I don't know how people live there. But we saw lots of gurgling mud pools and have some pretty cool pictures but I forgot my camera so next time I'll try and get some pictures up here.

Saw the guys from North Wales again at this hostel. It still poured with rain so we decided to drive past the mountains to get some nice weather and Laurence had a lead on a job running this surf school for a week while the guy had to go away to compete in the nationals. The job was in Gisbourne and he got it which is pretty wicked.

Gisbourne is really nice, another beach town. It is sooo hot. Jealous?! We drove here yesterday through this massive gorge and because of the rain there had been a huge rock/mud slide which covered the entire road. We had to wait hours for them to get a digger and clear a lane but we had food in the car and we met some cool people in the jam! We are staying in an old convent in Gisbourne now, should be here for a week or so.

I'll get some photo's up soon.

Andy

Comments:
ahh cool sounds great! I'm especially jealous of the weather, other people may disagree but I think it's freezing here!! Adam left at 5am this morning :( so everything is back to normal HK way...have fun! R x x
 
Hey Andrew Z Ross! Glad to see things are all ok in NZ! Robyn is correct, the weather has got quite cold here all of a sudden but I'm still coping with short sleeve shirts (just about). Have fun lazing on the beach and stuff!

B :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?